We produce a new version of AQT approximately every 2 years that contains major new functionality.
Point-releases to AQT, containing bug fixes and minor enhancements, are issued every 3 to 6 months. If you have an urgent problem we can generally get a fix to you within a few days.
We include suggestions from AQT users in our development plans. You can make suggestions by emailing us or posting the AQT Forum. Factors taken into account when deciding on implementation include:
- ease/difficulty to achieve
- general usefulness
- number of people who suggest it
AQT Version 10
For AQT v10, we are planning:
- Object Search. This will allow you to search the objects in your database (tables, columns, stored procedures) for particular text (eg. a column name).
- Find in Table. This will allow you to quickly find a particular string in a table or group of tables.
- Disk Cache. The displays in the Database Explorer window will be able to be cached to disk. For larger systems, this will enable a faster startup of AQT as the Database Explorer displays will be retrieved from the disk cache rather than having to be fetched from the database.
- Auto-Reconnect. When running a query, if AQT detects that your database connection has terminated, it will automatically reconnect you to the database.
- Load Mulitple tables. This will allow you to load multiple tables, from either another system or file files (csv or Excel). This will make it easy to load all tables in a schema, or to copy the data and tables from one system to another. This function can be scripted so can be run in batch.
- Compare Multiple tables. Similarly, this window will allow you to compare all tables in a schema in a single operation.
AQT v10 is expected to be released near the end of 2013.
Browser-based Reporting Tool
We are currently working on a browser-based reporting tool.
This product will run on a web server at a centralised location; to query the data users will need just a web browser. This web browser can run on any platform, including tablets and mobile devices. It will be able to access the same database types that AQT can access.
This product is aimed at large enterprises that wish to provide their users with tightly-managed access to their databases.
- zero deployment costs at user end. No software or plugins to install on the user's PCs. No database client software to be installed or configured on the user's PC. No license key install.
- central administration: administrators specify databases access and authority level for users.
- non-power users will not be able to run ad-hoc queries or browse the database structure. Instead they will be presented with a list of pre-built queries (reports) they are able to run. They will not be able to see or amend the report SQL.
- power users will be able to browse the database structure and run ad-hoc queries in a similar way to AQT.
- data can be displayed, printed, exported to Excel, csv or PDF.
- data can be charted. Pre-built charts can be developed and deployed to users.
- user's queries, charts and exports are held on the server so are accessible to a user irrespective of the device they are using.
- authorized users can be given the right to develop and edit reports. Reports can be deployed to other users with a few clicks.
This product highlights AQT reporting features. It is simple and mobile.
A demo of this is scheduled for the end of 2013.